Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Seizures and Sports

I recently heard from a mom of a epileptic child, asking "what, if any, sports should my child play"?

From personal experience, my dear child never even considered doing any kind of a sport. I was happy to get him to take the dog for a walk, or help me milk the goats, or gather eggs.

Of course, we aren't on our farm any more, but still, he doesn't want to do anything. He still has trouble walking from his stroke last May, so I don't push him.

But let's see if I can mention a few, keeping in mind these are MY opinion:

The Probably-NO List first:
  • baseball/softball
  • boxing/sparring
  • diving
  • football
  • skiing
  • skydiving
  • soccer
  • swimming
  • wrestling

The MAYBE list:
  • basketball
  • cheer (but probably only basic cheers, not the tumbling kind)
  • field hockey
  • gymnastics
  • hockey
  • horseback riding
  • ice hockey
  • karate
  • snowboard
  • snowmobile
  • volleyball
  • wakeboard

Now, the YES list:
  • badmintin
  • billiards/pool
  • bicycling/exercycling
  • bowling
  • color guard
  • curling (ice sport)
  • dancing
  • figure skating
  • Frisbee
  • golf
  • javelin
  • judo
  • marching band
  • ping pong/table tennis (hey, it worked for Forrest Gump!)
  • putt-putt/miniature golf
  • rowing
  • running/tack and field
  • shot put
  • tae kwon do
  • tai chi
  • tennis
  • walking
  • weight-lifting
  • yoga

Your child really should have someone with them during almost ALL SPORTS ... in case something happens.

When in doubt, wear a helmet. Protect that head!!

Please keep in mind that I am NOT a doctor or any other kind of medical professional. Each case is different. Consult your (or your child's) epilepsy doctor.


Did I miss any?  Comment below.

No comments: