Monday, March 9, 2020

Do substitute teachers need medical info about students?

Do substitute teachers need medical information for the individual students?

This question recently became a reality for me as I handled a medical emergency in class while subbing in a 5th-grade math classroom.

Last week, a student had a seizure in my classroom. I was not aware of her seizure disorder and that seizures had been occurring more frequently in school. I would have loved to be more prepared for the possibility of her having a seizure in class.

Am I entitled to that information as a substitute teacher?

As a parent of a student with a seizure disorder, I would be upset if the adults in charge of my kid were not made aware of her potential to have a seizure in class. Her medical information ought to be provided to subs if the potential for it to affect their classroom exists.

I was subbing in a 5th-grade math classroom. During independent practice work time, I was assisting a group of students, and all of a sudden, several students came and got me. A student in my class was having a prolonged absence seizure. Thankfully for that student and me, I have experience with that type of seizure because of my daughter.  I am proud of how her peers knew about her condition, reacted to the situation correctly, and got her help when she needed it. My concern, though, is what if she were with a sub who did not have experience with absence seizures. What if the sub felt she was being defiant or having a fit?

This student was unresponsive, but her eyes were open, and her arms crossed as if she were protesting something. After making her safe and sending students for another classroom teacher to help, we were able to call the nurses and principals down and get her the medical attention that she needed.

Despite my experience with seizures, I was overwhelmed by the experience, and it took me about 30 minutes to calm myself down. Not only was this my first classroom emergency, but I was not aware that this child had a seizure disorder.

I later found out that this student has been having seizures in school more frequently and had two in school the week prior. While I understand privacy requirements, as a substitute teacher in her classroom, this information would have been beneficial for me to keep an eye on this student while she was in my class.

This situation made me wonder about the guidelines for providing substitutes with pertinent medical information about students.

I have been in schools where this information is available in the sub binder regarding individual students with medical and behavioral needs. Teachers don't consistently provide this information to subs. Information regarding a student's seizure disorder was not provided to me as a sub when it was needed. To me, this is a problem.

As parents, how do we make sure our kids' pertinent information is provided to the adults in charge when they need it? 


-Abby, Guest Blogger

No comments: